Having an organized closet can be a very difficult task to accomplish. You have to figure out how you want to organize it, organize it and then keep it organized. I have been toying around with the idea of customizing my closet for a few years now; but every time I immediately dismissed the idea due to cost. I mean…customized closets are beautiful, but they can be very expensive.
In April of 2021, I decided that I was going to finally bite the bullet and customize the closet a little bit. I wasn’t going to go all out with California Closets or anything like that. I just wanted an affordable way to customize my closet so that I could display my shoes. In May of 2021, I decided to go with an IKEA Pax Wardrobe system.
The total cost was a little over $1k, but it was well worth it! I love the way it turned out. I can see all of my shoes, my clothes are all hanging from matching hangers, my handbags are on display and I also have cute storage boxes for miscellaneous items that are hung or folded on shelves.
Before I installed the IKEA Pax Wardrobe system, my closet was a standard builders grade closet with white wire shelving. I had clothes hanging, handbags on the top shelf and shoes in their boxes stacked on top of each other! It was a mess! I couldn’t see my shoes, there was no organization to it and I was honestly OVER it!!!
Because the closet was a shallow rectangular shape, there really wasn’t much I could do other than get a few units lined up against the back wall and a corner unit for one of the side walls. Although it wasn’t much more than that, I still think that it’s better than what I had before.
Below are a few tips to help you make the best out of your IKEA Pax Wardrobe and to help you organize your closet.
- If you Ikea to customize your closet, use the Ikea design tool and make it fit your closet (maximize your space) and your needs (if you have more clothes to hang than shoes, get more hanging space or drawers than shelves);
- organize your clothes by type and then put them in rainbow order;
- use matching hangers like these (for shirts and dresses) and these (for pants and skirts);
- use matching/coordinating storage containers to store accessories;
- use acrylic organization/storage to mix things up a little. You can use acrylic trays/organizers for belts, sunglasses, clutches, etc.
- paint your walls or use wall paper to give your closet a little more personality;
- add LED lighting for a customized touch;
- place inserts inside of your knee high boots so that they stand up on their own;
- hang your hats on the exterior panels of your units or on the wall using cute clips, wooden clothes pins, or a wall mounted coat rack (I used this one);
- change your light fixture. I haven’t done this yet, but I plant to do it in the near future;
- add some decorative elements to your shelves (such as coffee table books, candles, and jewelry organizers) and/or walls if you have space; and
- make your closet as pretty as possible…if that’s your thing…it’s my thing 🙂
I hope these organizational tips were helpful to you. Purchasing the IKEA Pax Wardrobe system was one of my best purchases in 2021. I absolutely love walking in my closet seeing all of my clothes and shoes. It makes picking out an OOTD just a little easier. If you have any organizational tips to share or if you purchased an IKEA Pax Wardrobe and you are loving it, please comment below.
I have a video on my YT channel where I walk thru my closet. You can check it out here.
’til next time!